HERE ARE 10 OTHER DATES TO MARK YOUR CALENDAR FOR, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FORWARD TO THE COMING WOMEN’S DAY!
Yes, as women we all look forward to the 8th of March. We want to say it to the world and wish other women who do tremendous each day. But do we know that there are so many other things to pause and look for besides the International Women’s Day.
Let’s just pause for a while and thank all the voices that made sure that yours was heard!
- November 10, 1236 – Razia Sultan
She became the first female ruler on the throne of Delhi.
- December 4, 1829 – Sati was banned
Now that’s very important, isn’t it?
- January 1, 1848 – Savitribai Phule
She started the first girl’s school in Pune.
- June 18, 1858 – Rani Lakshmibai
She died fighting the British troops in Gwalior, with her son on the back.
- January 26, 1950 – Suffrage Rights
Universal suffrage rights were granted to all Indians above 21 years, which later became 18 years.
- January 19, 1966 – Indira Gandhi
She became the first Indian woman prime minister.
- April 11, 1983 – Bhanu Athaiya
She became the first Indian woman to win an Academy Award.
- September 21, 1992 – Priya Jhingan
She became the first woman to join the Indian army.
- December 20, 2006 – The Protection of Women from Domestic Violence Act
The Act was passed.
- Feb 1, 2016 – ‘Karta’ allotment
Delhi High Court recognised eldest female member of the family as a Karta to manage property rituals or other crucial family matters.